If you are experiencing earaches or a sharp pain in the ear, then most probably you have an ear infection caused by a bacteria or a virus. Mostly, this infection is further aggravated by flu, allergies or cold. Accumulation of earwax and infection of the sinuses are also other causing factors. This causes the throat, Eustachian tubes and nasal passages to become swollen. Fluid gets accumulated and this causes favorable conditions for infections to set in.
Children are most at risk than adults mostly because of their small-size Eustachian tubes and an immune system that is weak. Ear pain in kids, irritability, loss of appetite, loss of balance, difficulty in sleeping and high fever are some of the symptoms in children. Adults will experience diminished hearing and pain in the ear.
If you are experiencing similar symptoms, you can try our advice on proper ear cleaning and also take a look at our list of highly effective home remedies for ear infection and earaches for you. Trips to the drug store might no longer be necessary. Let’s take a closer look.
All Natural Remedies For Ear Infections And Severe Earaches.
- Onion Juice
The onions that you use almost on a daily basis to prepare meals could just be the home remedy that you have been looking for. Onions contain anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. These properties will soothe and bring ear pain relief. This home remedy is fast-acting too!
- Heat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut your onion into 2 halves.
- Bake one half for about 15 minutes
- Leave the cooked onion to cool.
- Squeeze the onion to extract juice.
- Use a dropper to apply a few drops to the ear.
- Tilt your head sideways for a few moments.
- Turn the head to drain and repeat regularly.
You don’t have to worry if you don’t have an oven. You can still extract juice from the onion without cooking it and apply a few drops. The pain should recede within a short period of time.
Salt is a readily-available ingredient at home. It is an effective anti-bacterial agent and a natural home remedy for ear infections. Salt is also a microbial inhibitor and could work to prevent further growth of bacteria.
- Heat a full cup of kitchen salt in a microwave.
- Pour the hot mix of salt on a cloth and try to tie a very tight knot on one end.
- Put cloth on ear for about five-ten minutes. Now repeat the process several times for best results.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar contains antimicrobial agents that inhibit the growth of bacteria. These properties work well to clear the ear infection. Use this simple home remedy regularly for best results.
- Mix apple cider vinegar and water in equal parts.
- Soak a cotton wool ball in the solution.
- Place the ball of soaked cotton wool in your ear. Strap it so that it does not come off.
- Let it stay for 5 minutes.
- Tilt your head to drain and repeat regularly.
Raw crushed garlic contains allicin, an agent that is both anti-bacterial and anti-microbial. Allicin in garlic has bacteriostatic capabilities that act against infections. Garlic is consider one of the best home remedy for ear infection. You won’t be disappointed!
- Crush 4 cloves of garlic and allow to stand for 15-20 minutes in a crucible.
- Add 1 table spoon of mustard oil
- Cook in an open sauce pan
- Stir the solution and let it cool.
- Apply a small amount of the mixture.
You can also decide to wrap the crushed garlic in a soft, clean cloth, then place it inside your ear for about 30 minutes. This should give you relief from the pain. Many families claim that garlic is an effective home remedy when you want to avoid the doctor.
Heat helps to relieve swelling and clear blocked passageways in the body, and especially in the nasal cavity. This is one of the oldest and most readily used home remedies and a fast-acting decongestant.
- Add a few spoons of eucalyptus oil to boiling water.
- Cover your head and while leaning over the boiling water.
- Breathe deeply to inhale the steam.
- Repeat regularly.
The steam will work like a clearing agent in the nasal passages. Another alternative is to grab a warm bottle of water for similar results. Just place the water bottle on the affected ear for 3-5 minutes. This helps to relieve the pain and swelling and prevent further bacterial growth. However, remember not to place the water bottle for a very long time.
- Mango Leaf Juice
The leaves of the mango tree contain phenols and other substances that act as natural antibiotics. Mango juice is an ideal home remedy.
- Obtain juice from 4 mango leaves by crushing them.
- Place the juice in a sauce pan and heat gently.
- While warm, apply 3-4 drops on the affected ear.
- Repeat several times in a day for best results.
- Basil Leaves
Basil is not new to the kitchen. We mostly use basil herbs as seasoning in meals. The medicinal value of basil however, can be used as a home remedy for ear infections. It contains anti-inflammatory properties that are useful to get rid of earaches.
- Obtain 4-5 holy basil leaves.
- Crush them gently to obtain the juice.
- Use a soft cloth to apply the juice around or on the ear. The juice however should not get inside.
- If this method does not appeal to you, you can add drops of the basil juice and some olive oil on a ball of cotton wool.
- Wipe gently inside and behind the ear.
- Repeat regularly for best results.
- Olive Oil
Olive oil helps to soften wax that builds up causing infections. Wax build-up creates favorable conditions for bacteria to thrive.
- Heat 5 spoons of olive oil
- Apply a few drops of the warm olive oil inside the infected area.
- After the wax softens, use a soft cotton bud to remove it.
- Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil contains antiseptic and anti-bacterial properties that prevent microbial growth. The oil can provide relief from the sharp pain in the ear.
- Mix 3 drops of tea tree oil,
- 2 tablespoon: olive oil,
- 1 teaspoon: colloidal silver,
- and 1 teaspoon: apple cider vinegar.
- Now warm the resulting mixture for a short time.
- Place a few drops in the affected ear.
- Lie on your side for a few minutes to allow the solution to drain.
- Repeat several times daily.
However, remember not to ingest the tea tree oil. It is harmful and poisonous if swallowed.
- Lemon Balm
Lemon balm has been around for quite some time. It is a calming herb that has slight medicinal value and is a natural home remedy to relieve pain.
- Using a clean and soft cloth, apply the balm inside the infected area inside the ear.
- Repeat regularly.
- Mullein Extract
Mullein essential oil is an ideal home remedy to get rid of an earache. It is often mixed with garlic to produce best results.
- Soak a cotton ball in a few drops of Mullein Flower Oil.
- Stuff the cotton ball in your infected ear.
- Leave it in for about 3 minutes.
- Repeat whenever you feel pain.
- Breast Milk
Ear infections are mostly prevalent among children. The major contributing factor for this is due to their weak immune systems. Breast milk is the best source of immune builders for children. Through breast milk, kids obtain essential nutrients and antibodies that act as natural remedies to help them fight diseases.
Make sure that you breastfeed your child for at least 6 months. Breast milk is the most primary home remedy that mothers can use for their kids right from birth.
For constant pain in the ear, ginger will come in handy as a home remedy. It is a natural painkiller that has anti-inflammatory properties that will help to reduce any swellings.
- Obtain a fresh ginger root.
- Grind or crush the ginger to extract the juice
- Apply a small quantity of the juice into your ear.
- Repeat 3-4 times in a day till the pain subsides.
Peppermint will soothe any pains and also prevent any swellings.
- Obtain a few leaves of peppermint.
- Crush them to extract the juice
- Apply a few drops into the ear
Alternatively you can mix a few drops of peppermint oil with olive oil and use this mixture to apply around the ear.
Radishes have been mostly used to clean the ear to remove accumulated wax. Radishes also have a soothing effect that works to provide relief from pain.
- Obtain a fresh radish and cut into small pieces
- Add a few tablespoons of mustard oil
- Heat moderately
- Let it cool then strain the mixture
- Apply a few drops.
All the above home remedies are obtained from natural substances. They provide a quick solution when you do not want to try normal antibiotics. However remember that your ears need constant care to keep infections at bay. You could even avoid these remedies altogether through proper care. Avoid inserting foreign objects in the ears and rubbing with dirty hands. Flu, colds and other upper body illnesses facilitate more infections, so take care of these illnesses early. If you succeed in avoiding these, then you might not have to deal with the infection, after all.